Wednesday 18 July 2012

RD minus 9 days: Another one of those day!

Today I was supposed to go on pm shift after on call yesterday. However, someone in middle management in my department in all her wisdom decided that I have to go for some CPD thing today despite the fact that there are another series of CPD under the same topic will be held in two weeks time.

I can't believe this! I thought the "middle level" people should have at least the courtesy to spare us the much needed time of rest and rearrange the schedule for CPD at more appropriate time as in my honest opinion, CPD aren't as urgent as life and death situation.

I was later informed my fellow colleagues that the "middle level" people decided to send all of the first poster in paediatric department to this CPD, leaving senior houseman running the show. Our impression are simple - ergo, first poster are incompetent, ergo, they shouldn't be doing any ward work. Yet, how are we suppose to be competent if they kept us out of ward for silly things like CPD?

This isn't the first time this absurdity happen to us. Last week I was scolded for going to clinic for blood taking despite the fact the fact that I'm more than capable in simple task of venepuncture by the "middle man". She asked for senior houseman to do the job instead. How are we houseman are going to better ourselves if we are barred from doing the much needed hands on skill?

I had enough of this bullshit. Seriously.

My interview will be on this tuesday. I truly hope that my misery will end there.

What I ask is simple - to give us a bit more autonomy and spaces to grow. Spare us some chances to better ourselves. This kind of work culture, if not changed will eventually create incompetent, dangerous doctors. This kind of work culture will demoralize us houseman as we will be made to think that we are incapable and inept. This kind of work culture will make me look for greener pasture elsewhere.

RD minus 9 days: for better job autonomy and performance based appraisal.

No comments:

Post a Comment